The Washington Nordic Cup (WNC) is a fun and youth-focused cross country ski race series open to skiers ages 6 - 19. There are five race events during the winter season. Event locations are throughout the east side of the Cascade Mountains. WNC Member Clubs from each area host the races. The clubs are members of the Pacific Northwest Ski & Snowboard Association (PNSA), a member division of U.S. Ski & Snowboard.
The goal of the WNC is to create fun, low cost, and low stress racing opportunities that are close to our home towns in Washington State. Races will be a mix of traditional diagonal stride in the tracks and skate technique. Some events will have course themes such as skiercross with jumps, bumps, and obstacles, while others will have outfit themes such as crazy tights.
Participants will register for each race individually. Skiers will earn points at each race based on how they finish relative to skiers of similar age and sex. Points earned will automatically be calculated and added to the WNC Results. At the last race of the season, top point earners will be recognized and earn prizes.
To create fun, low cost, low stress, racing opportunities for Juniors that are close to our home clubs.
- Make racing fun (incorporate unique and different elements), low key, low stress, low cost, and local.
- Increase the quantity of Juniors that actively participate in ski teams and racing.
- Support the development of Junior racers that can race successfully at the PNSA JNQ level, and higher.
- Increase the quantity and quality of racers participating in the PNSA's JNQ's.
- Provide a fun stress free path to racing for non-JNQ focused youth to keep them actively involved in skiing and ski team through high school age.
- To schedule races on non-JNQ race dates, so as not to reduce JNQ participation.
- To encourage and support JNQ race participation to successful Washington Nordic Cup racers.
- To attract youth from our communities that are not involved in ski team to racing and ski teams.
- To share the awesomeness of ski teams and ski racing with our local communities by having local races.
- Points system rewards participation in order to encourage participation.